Chevron parquet flooring is a kind of zigzag-paved pattern flooring. The chevron planks are cut at an angle that looks like a “V” in the pavement. With its stylish look, Chevron Parquet flooring is a desired parquet pattern flooring for many households. Chevron parquet flooring can make a room look larger. The design creates a great dimension to your floor, helped by the flow of the directional pattern, which can make small or narrow rooms feel longer and more spacious by creating the illusion of more floor space.
Fabrication and Installation
The traditional chevron parquet engineered flooring is a single strip of parallelogram flooring. In the factory, rectangular or parallelogram lamella are pasted and pressed on the baseboard, then sawn into single strips and bevelled at the ends to the specified size and shape.
Installing single-strip chevron parquet flooring is much more difficult than conventional flooring. The position of the splice joints needs to be marked on the foundation before installation, and then each piece of flooring needs to be fitted in position tightly. As a result, the assembly is inefficient and demands a strict requirement of a skilled installer and a high foundation smoothness. Any slight deviation will result in the V-shaped joints not being aligned.
To further improve the installation efficiency and quality, patents and technologies are now available for large format chevron parquet flooring structures. Multiple parallelogram sheets are pasted in line at an angle on the baseboard to make multiple integrated pieces of a larger parallelogram piece. The large format chevron parquet can effectively improve installation efficiency and quality. However, there are still some challenges in production.
Firstly, the production of large format chevron parquet flooring is inefficient as the leftover cannot be reused. Secondly, warping is a common and severe defect in large chevron parquet. This is because the vertical pressure deforms the panels outward and induces lateral strain in the board’s direction. As the strain per unit area is constant, the strain in the obtuse part of the parallelogram is higher while the strain in the acute part is lower. The asymmetrical strain at four angles makes the entire flooring boards warp upwards.
The warping of the flooring can induce additional quality problems. In the latter sanding process, it is likely to have uneven sanding thicknesses due to warping, with the top layer at acute corners being too thin or even worn out to expose the baseboard, resulting in a significant drop in yield. As the deformation degree is positively related to the thickness of the lamella, the extra thick lamella is seldom used in the chevron parquet to prevent deformation.
To improve the quality and efficiency in installing single strip chevron parquet flooring, together with the warping deformation induced by the uneven distribution of stress in traditional large-format chevron parquet flooring, our R&D team has developed a new large-format chevron parquet flooring with better dimensional stability by structural innovation, material selection, and process design.
The new large-format engineered chevron parquet utilizes a composite large-format substrate structure and a new balance structure design based on the final size and strain distribution. The pictures below illustrate the composite baseboard structure and strain distribution. The specially designed flexible connection between the substrate units can disperse the stresses within the flooring effectively, avoiding warping and deformation in processing and installation, improving the dimensional stability and yield rate.
Because of the special configuration of chevron parquet, the needs for processing accuracy are also higher than that for conventional flooring. The production process for the new large-format chevron parquet has been optimized to improve efficiency and accuracy significantly while reducing the production cost accordingly.
A range of composite configurations was designed to fulfill different product requirements, including size, angle, and wood species. Different configurations fully incorporate the material’s mechanical properties and processing requirements, which fully adapt to the order requests and balance the stresses on the surface and the substrate, making the boards less easily deformed.
The processing residue is used as the core board units in the new large-format chevron parquet to improve the raw material utilization and reduce raw material costs.
Pros and Cons
Compared with the traditional single-strip chevron parquet and large-format boards, the advantages and disadvantages of this innovation include:
- Higher installation efficiency and better paving quality. The large-format chevron parquet reduces the number of joints to improve the neatness of the paving and diminish the requirements for the levelness of the floor slab. Of course, this largely increases the installation efficiency by 60% and reduces labor costs. In this way, the new chevron parquet is perfect for large-area paving.
- Better material efficiency. The product’s manufacturing makes full use of processing residues that improve raw material utilization and reduce raw material costs.
- Less warping and higher yield rate. With the innovative design, the stresses generated in the pressing process are uniformly dispersed, so the strains on each side are smaller than the traditional large-format flooring planks. In this way, there is less warping and higher yield.
- Better dimensional stability. The composite structure enhances the mechanical strength of the flooring while at the same time reducing the impact of environmental temperature and humidity changes on the dimensions, greatly improving the dimensional stability of the board. The innovative products can be used in underfloor heating rooms.
- The complicated process requires highly skilled technicians.
- A long production cycle and higher production costs. The price of large-format chevron parquet products is also higher accordingly.
- The UV lacquer is challenging to apply using traditional methods. The large bevel can only be fully painted by UV oil or manually painted after the UV lacquer. However, this problem can be overcome in several ways.
The extra-thick lamella provides a more realistic touch. In conventional large-format chevron parquet, an excessively thick top layer may disrupt the upper and lower stress balance, warping and deformation the surface. We analyzed the mechanical properties of different wood species and lamella thickness to adopt an innovative stress-balanced configuration, which allows us to maintain a flat surface even with a 3 mm thicker top layer.
The extra-thick lamella gives flooring more bevel options. A large bevel flooring features a larger, more pronounced edge detail, with the individual flooring clearly delineated. The stunning and authentic appearance is more suitable for large paving spaces.
There is also free customization. We have a target-optimized program for different orders, ensuring processing accuracy and dimensional stability always meet your requests.
To shorten the production cycle and bring the price down, we keep exploring the road to innovation. If you have any questions about the choice or quality of our products, please feel free to talk to us. We will give you a satisfactory answer with our professional service and excellent production.